Our writing programs teach you the forms, techniques, and traditions of various kinds of writing, from basic expository prose to more advanced forms of non-fiction, fiction, poetry, science writing, scientific and technical communication, and digital media.
- Graduate Program in Science Writing: For master’s students, CMS/W runs the world’s premier science writing graduate program.
- Majors, Minor, and Concentration: For undergraduates, programs are arranged by three areas: creative writing, science writing, and digital media. We offer majors in those three areas, as well as a minor and concentration.
- MIT OpenCourseWare: And for everyone — whether enrolled at MIT or not — you can access a huge digital collection of our writing courses through MIT OpenCourseWare.
CMS/W also houses key components of MIT’s broader writing-education mission:
- Writing, Rhetoric, and Professional Communications, which among other things supports MIT’s Communication Requirement.
- The Writing and Communication Center, a provider of free individual consultation at any stage of the writing or oral presentation process.