- This event has passed.
Writing in Digital Margins: Annotation Studio Workshop
Tuesday, January 28, 2014 @ 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Enrollment: Please Register Here: http://goo.gl/diyD6O
Sign-up by 01/25
Limited to 20 participants
Writing one’s thoughts, comments, or associations into the margins of books is a familiar, centuries-old practice. Now that more and more texts are read in digital form, what happens to these notes in the margins? Can we preserve this practice, or even better, can we enhance it with the affordances of digital technology?
Annotation Studio, an easy-to-use web application for education, engages students in close reading through annotation, allows them to add multimedia links to comments in order to cite sources, variations, or adaptations, and to share annotations with fellow students.
In this hands-on workshop you’ll learn how to create, tag, link, and share annotations, how you can integrate digital text annotation in your teaching, or – if you are interested in the development or deployment aspects – how the underlying open-source technology opens up exciting possibilities for new functionality.
The workshop will include:
- Introduction to digital text annotation in education
- Hands-on session with Annotation Studio
- Panel discussion with instructors about classroom experiences with Annotation Studio
Break-out sessions will include:
- Classroom integration and creating assignments
- Reading and loading your own documents; creating, viewing and sharing annotations
- Introduction to the open source codebase for developers
- Administration, infrastructure and support
Please register to attend, and check the break-out session topics that interest you.