What’s on the FEE?
The FEE asks students to write two 750 – 1250 word essays. One essay is an analytical summary of multiple readings, and the other is an argument, based on evidence provided in another reading.
When do I take the FEE?
The FEE is offered twice during the summer; you will have ten days to do the readings and write the essays, which are submitted online. Advance registration is required and opens mid-May, 2020 (exact date to be announced). You may only take the FEE once. This year, the FEE will be offered from June 1 – 10, 2020 (Summer Session #1) and from July 20 –30, 2020 (Summer Session #2). See this year’s dates and deadlines here.
1. Register before 1pm EDT on May 29, 2020 (for FEE Summer Session #1) or before 1pm EDT on on July 17, 2020 (for FEE Summer Session #2) by going to the MIT First-Year Essay Evaluation Site.
2. Click on the “Forgotten your password? Click here to reset it” option at the bottom of the screen and request your reset email be sent to your MIT email address. You will receive an email with a link to set up a password and your account. Please note the system does not use Kerberos credentials – you will need to set a password to access the system.
3. Fill out the demographic information to set up your account as prompted.
4. Return to “Home” (visible on the left-hand menu). You will see an option in the middle of the screen saying “Click here to register” – click on this button to proceed to registration.
5. You will see a page detailing the different registration options. Once you’ve read through the page, click the blue ‘Click here to Register’ button to make your selection. Select your registration option from the drop-down menu. Visit our FAQ Page for full details on your registration options.
6. Readings and prompts will populate on the Home Screen once your exam has begun.
7. When you’ve written your essays, log in and submit your essays by the due date and time.
How long will the FEE take?
We expect that carefully reading the articles will take about 3 – 5 hours, and that writing the essay will take another 8 – 12 hours. We allow multiple days for reading and writing because we know that people have other commitments during that time, and to allow time for a complete writing process, including reflection and revision.
When and how do I find out my results and see comments on my essays?
Your results and feedback will be available on the FEE website several weeks after you complete the exam.
Once you have your FEE results, you will connect with your advisor during Orientation to select your classes and then register for them via Online Registration.
Still have questions? Check out our FAQ page.