The American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) today announced the finalists for the 2013 National Magazine Awards. Known as the Ellies–for the Alexander Calder stabile “Elephant” given to each award winner–the National Magazine Awards will be presented on Thursday, May 2, at the New York Marriott Marquis.
Essays and Criticism
- The Atlantic for “Fear of a Black President,” by Ta-Nehisi Coates; September
- Foreign Policy for “Why Do They Hate Us?” by Mona Eltahawy; May/June
- New York for “A Life Worth Ending,” by Michael Wolff; May 28
- The New Yorker for “Over the Wall,” by Roger Angell; November 19
- Orion for “State of the Species,” by Charles C. Mann; November/December