WCC offers its programs to the wide community of MIT undergraduate and graduate students, postdoctoral scholars, faculty, and staff from all MIT departments and disciplines, which include:
- Individual Consultations on oral, visual, and written projects (see how consultations work here and check available sessions here)
- Workshops on various aspects of academic writing (check our upcoming offerings here)
- Writing Together Online program (register for Spring 2024 sessions here)
- Peer-review Group for Creative Writers (more info and register here)
Writing Together In-person Session
If you need extra time to work on your writing projects this week, join the WCC team during an in-person Writing Together session. This session will help you make progress and work productively in the company of other scholars. We will provide lunch and drinks, as well as the right productive ambiance. This program is open to all MIT grad students and scholars actively writing their papers, proposals, manuscripts, and thesis chapters.
WHEN: Wed, Feb 21st, 2024, 12-2pm
NOTE: Lunch and drinks are provided for this session
Deliver to Win – How to Present Your 3-Minute Talk Effectively
Would you like to enhance your presentation skills and learn how to deliver with impact? This hands-on workshop will help you build confidence as a presenter and equip you with life-long tools to deliver your ideas eloquently, engagingly, and effectively. Come ready to participate!
This workshop is designed for everyone who wants to enhance their presentation skills, as well as those who plan to participate in the 4th Institute-wide Research Slam Competition, featuring postdocs and PhD students.
WHEN: Wed, Feb 21st, 2024, 3:30-5:00pm
LOCATION: Zoom (pre-registration is required to receive the link)
Peer-Review Lunch Group for Creative Writers
Writing creatively just for yourself? Planning on submitting to the Ilona Karmel Writing Prizes?
Susan Spilecky, a WCC Lecturer and Writing Specialist, is starting up a peer-review group where you would meet weekly with other creative writers in a safe space to give and receive feedback, inspiration, and encouragement. All genres are welcome.
WHEN: Every Monday, starting February 26th, 2024, 1-2pm (EST)
WHERE: E18-240h (50 Ames St., 2nd floor)
NOTE: The group will be limited to 4-7 individuals.
Bring a brown bag lunch and your writing project.
WHEN: Mon, Feb 13th, 2024, 4-5:30pm
What can the WCC help you do?
- The WCC helps you strategize about all types of academic and professional writing as well as about all aspects of oral presentations (including practicing classroom presentations & conference talks as well as designing slides).
- It helps you think your way more deeply into your topic and helps you see new implications in your data, research, and ideas.
- And it helps with all English as a Second Language issues, from writing and grammar to pronunciation and conversation practice.
We’ll help you succeed with: